WELCOME! HERE YOU WILL GET TO KNOW HOW TO BECOME A MEMBER IN THE 104th PHOENIX VFBS
Please read carefully prior applying!
The 104th Phoenix Virtual Fighter Bomber Squadron takes its pride in educating and training among the best virtual fighter pilots in DCS since almost 9 years now.
Normally, in spring and in autumn, we open our doors for new members to join our ranks. However, please understand that we are very selective, when it comes to recruiting new members. This is not because we want to be an elitist and exclusive group - on the contrary: we like to be inclusive and open as much as possible. However: to maintain our work for the community and to strive for our goal to be among the best, we are looking for a certain type of personality and dedication which facilitates achieving our goals.
Honor. Excellence. Integrity.
So, what do you need, to join the 104th? Listed below, you will find some requirements to become a 104th Cadet and after completing your training, a fully winged member of the 104th. Why some, and not all? Because we are all close friends and a big family - and if we want you to feel equally at home among our ranks - a certain "gut feeling" from both the applicant's and the squadron's side has to play a role in deciding wether we take or not take you aboard.
But, let's start with first things first:
What kind of members do we have? We have, basically, two types of members: Ordinary Members and Extraordinary Members. Extraordinary Members are our Cadets who are on probation until they pass their training and are accepted into the squadron. Upon passing their final exam, the Carrier Qualifications, and upon approval by 104th Command, they get their wings granted and become fully winged, or in other words: Ordinary Members. So...
WHAT DO WE OFFER?
- as a member of the 104th you will be included in all squadron activities from meetings, daily (informal) reunions, trainings, events, etc.
- you will be able to influence the course of the squadron by adding your own personality and opinion to the work we do, and how we do it.
- you can create your own career: either be an active member, who flies along, or become part of the brass, who defines the squadron's path through his or her own work and dedication. In both cases: be active and enjoy activities!
- as a cadet get fully personalized live training with our experienced instructors and become one among the best in the DCS. The training will be fitted to your personal needs - no matter where you stand in DCS and how steep your learning curve will be. We will guide you to the top!
- be closer to DCS in general - in the 104th we have 4 Members on the Beta Test Team - who in close coordination with our experience from our dedicated server lay emphasis on improving the Multiplayer side of DCS.
- enjoy the 24/7 51 client slot dedicated server as your home base and experience daily online multiplayer air combat at its finest.
- get full access to the combined knowledge base of one of the oldest squadrons in DCS - dating all the way back to its beginning and including flight sim experience from members going all the way back to the start of flight sims in general.
- be part of an open, friendly, caring and international group with strong ties to all of our members and, of course, friends and community outside of the squadron.
- a 100% mature and tolerant environment.
- flying, flying in formation as wingman or lead, more flying and even more flying!
WHAT WE DO NOT / CANNOT / WILL NOT OFFER:
- a tight military style run organization that values a game/sim/hobby above real life.
- 100% regularity in all that we do, as all our members have a real life, which we value above all.
- an easy way to improve without investing your own effort, sweat and time.
- the knowledge to fly a real plane or to replace a PPL or even to handle a military aircraft - because we try to be the best in the sim, not in real life.
- a cold wet handshake after completing your training in a real life meeting, because we are an online community
WHAT WE REQUIRE FROM APPLICANTS:
- we predominantly recruit pilots who are more or less known to us by either:
a.) flying approximately a year on our server (and teamspeak!) under the same callsign (so it catches our attention)
b.) fly on our server (and teamspeak!) for a while and get our attention by exemplary dedication and/or skill
c.) come with recommendation by a 104th fully winged member
d.) come with recommandation of another DCS squadron, like ie. 51st Bisons, 44th Vampires and others.
- ALL APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT AND PASS OUR 3 UPTs before becoming a 104th Cadet (find them here:) - you have to post your application (follow the examplary post) in this thread, when the recruitment is marked as "OPEN":
- you have to be of 18 years age or older
- you have to have a mature and responsible personality (!!!)
- you have to show long term dedication for DCS as your hobby (hence we like to see you fly for quite a while on our server and teamspeak)
- you have to be serious and 100% sure about STAYING a 104th member long after admittance into membership (we invest a lot of free time in your training and of course want you to stick around for... basically... let's say forever )
- you DO NOT need to be an ace pilot or super experienced or similar - but you should have covered the basics of flight in DCS
- much more important than skill is to bring your best commitment and dedication, the will to learn, to work hard and to improve at all times (we never stop learning)
- a friendly and tolerant personality
- you have to speak English (don't worry if it is not perfect or more or less bad - you should understand us, and we should be able to understand you clearly, that's all. The rest will improve a lot, believe me )
- you have to be willing (and able) to use Teamspeak 3 100% of the time
- apart from DCS World 1.5 openbeta you have to at least possess Flaming Cliffs 3 (no matter what other modules you possess) and DCS World 2.0 openalpha including the NTTR Map.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER A SUCCESFUL APPLICATION:
- after submitting all 3 UPTs, you may be approved as a 104th Cadet by a Senior Flight Instructor and 104th Command
- if you are approved as a 104th Cadet, you become an extraordinary member in the 104th: that means you will be on probation, will have increased duties and less privileges
- you will start you training, which includes 1) Formation Training 2) Advanced Tactical Training 3) Weapons Training Air to Air and Air to Ground 4) BFM 5) Instrument Flight and Instrument Landing System Training 6) Air to Air Refueling 7) Carrier Qualification (of course all that fitted to your persona)
- if until your Carrier Qualification all went well and you pass it - woohoo - you'll become a fully winged member of the 104th Phoenix VFBS!!!
Well, I know, this was quite a bit now. But, take a moment and think of it: We will invest a couple of months of our free time in your training... So... If this was already too much for you to read - do you really think you should apply? If, however, you soaked it up like a dry sponge and are eager to get to know more... well, buddy - you just made the right step into the right direction!
Remember this: we are happy about all your applications! But we need a certain amount of commitment, in order to stay commited ourselves. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO BECOME A MEMBER OF THE 104th - IT IS 100% POSSIBLE!! And WE WILL guide you!
So, last but not least - it would be our pleasure to welcome you as a 104th Cadet!
Fly safe and enjoy,
PLEASE NOTE: Passing the UPTs is a pre-requesite to be admitted into the 104th Cadets. However, admittance will be decided by a Senior Flight Instructor together with 104th command. Passing the UPTs does not guarantee admittance to extraordinary membership. Passing the fighter training school does not guarantee admittance to ordinary membership. Both extraordinary and ordinary membership can be rejected and/or revoked by 104th Command at any given time without further explanation.