104th Phoenix
Mustang

Terrain textures package for DCS World 1.5.x

Well..I made a Dropbox account, set no limits do download bandwidth, checked and made sure there was not a problem with my internet connection...nada! download from every service possible is at it max bandwidth as usual..only slow download I am experiencing is from Dropbox :( (I googled and found plenty complaints on dropbox being slow with no real explanation). And I do want this mod so bad

UPDATE: Got it finally to download at normal speeds...looks amazing Mustang and thank you for making DCS better looking :)

Edited by Bull

Update coming again soon to the package - this package uses a 16384x16384 resolution noise1 texturemap for maximum reduction of texture repetition, performance should be fine on most PC's (my graphics card is an AMD R9 380 4gb and it handles everything great)

Spring

U1NMkiX.jpg

Summer

7UeE73x.jpg

Autumn

hngfoyo.jpg

Winter

QsduJz6.jpg

Edited by Mustang

Update: made some changes to the town/city textures for all 4 seasons and some alterations to the config/terrain .lua files, if you have recently downloaded the package you might want to grab it again, thx.

Update: made some changes to the town/city textures for all 4 seasons and some alterations to the config/terrain .lua files, if you have recently downloaded the package you might want to grab it again, thx.

Hey Mustang, few days ago I saw your images in the official " ED SIMS SCREENSHOT THREAD!!!! (NO DISCUSSION OR COMMENT)" forum section.
Did you delete those pictures? Or a moderator did?
TY

Hi Mustang.

I was testing the 1.5.5 DCS Beta version with your terrain mod and it seems that some parts of it are no longer compatible. The forest aren´t rendered so i think some texture names are changed. 

If you could be so kind to test it we could be prepared for the Oficial Update when it comes.

Thanks

Hi Mustang.

I was testing the 1.5.5 DCS Beta version with your terrain mod and it seems that some parts of it are no longer compatible. The forest aren´t rendered so i think some texture names are changed. 

If you could be so kind to test it we could be prepared for the Oficial Update when it comes.

Thanks

+1

For now it seems that i'll have to remove the shadowless tree models from the package, something fundamental has changed to the rendering engine of DCS World 1.5.5 (deferred shading i think) that breaks this portion of the mod.

Edited by Mustang

Hope you can come up with something because with shadows in forests the stuttering returns. Btw. is it only me but it seems that no matter what option I choose for the terrain shadows (off, flat, default) the shadows are always present :/...Even on vanilla DCS Open beta install..

I'm really stumped about the tree shadows, I have presented this problem to ED and hopefully we could have some kind of answer to this problem.

Edited by Mustang

Me too...I remember Wags saying that they will add the option to disable terrain textures and they did. But I assume that when we select off,  all the shadows are disabled not just in forests,  they are disabled everywhere. And this is something I dont want..shadows in forests result in terrible stutters but I dont want to loose all the shadows (objects,  tree clusters etc. )...just those in forests.  Your mod Mustang did the job perfect and I really do hope something positive turns up on the issue.  Cheers! 

Thanks Mustang, still the best looking terrain mod available. The new winter version is amazing.

In my case with a GTX 1060 no FPS loss with forest shadows at all. Its incredible to fly low with this terrain mod. 

Thanks again for this wonderful work.

Hi Mustang.

I´m sorry to said this but i´ve found another graphical glitch using your terrain mod not present in the stock terrain from 1.5.5.

In the parking slots surrounded with terrain protection part of the texture became transparent at certain angles. You can see the effect in this pics with the mod and without it. Maybe you could take a look at that, Thanks.

agvVqjg.jpg

bhGdLyq.jpg

C8tgGWD.jpg

0GIoO3V.jpg

2b5CbHI.jpg

QRKDkIO.jpg

Edited by ESA_MIRMIDON

I have already removed that old model (kaponir.EDM and kaponir_collision.EDM) from the package a while back, it glitches with the new 1.5.5 much the same way as Snoopy's models as in this thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=176962

best thing to do is run a repair and make sure you're installing from the latest version of the mod package, keep an eye out that those two EDM's do not go back in and you should be fine.

P.S: an updated version 1.20 of the textures package might be along very soon, some pics of the latest work

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2956884#post2956884

Edited by Mustang

Thanks Mustang. 

As always outstanding suppport. I´m using your 1.18c version. You don´t have an idea how much i´m enjoying your terrain mod, specially the new winter season version flying low with my Gazelle. 

PD: Where i can find those two kaponir files to delete?

PD: nevermind. I´ve found the files. Working perfect now. Thanks again.

Edited by ESA_MIRMIDON

Ground units spotting and FLIR use isn't bad at all from experience, I am always checking for this - you can always customize the level of texture strength in the .lua files (i use noisemax = 0.8; with these textures but a value of 0.6 works well too and makes units even easier to spot)

P.S I'm nearly done uploading the two new packages, you can see some previews of the textures here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2959761&postcount=13350

Note these packages will be on Mediafire only, i can only host 1 large file at a time on Dropbox free account.

Edited by Mustang

@ESA_MIRMIDON: Both versions are quite similar with the exception of the main noise_1 texture, v1.20 has very nice looking patches of fields and rolling terrain while 1.20B has an highly detailed texture that focuses on low level flight (rocks, bushes, grass) you can see the differences in the screenshots above

@Canadave: you can increase levels of details by pushing noise1back = 50000.0; to a higher value, around 80000 to 100000 is recommended (if you increase too far though it can potentially negatively affect performance and ruin the look of the distance due to some texture repetition)

Edited by Mustang